Friday 2 May 2014

FRIENDS

They say, "We don’t lose friends.  We find out who our real ones are."


I am incredibly lucky to have a number of kind, loving, energetic, strong, supportive, caring, courageous, amazing, absolutely AMAZING people in my life.  These people I am proud to call my friends.  I read a lovely article about friendship this week: '13 Socially Acceptable Ways You Act Only With Your Best Friends'.  It is frighteningly accurate: http://elitedaily.com/women/13-socially-acceptable-ways-you-act-only-with-your-best-friends/


I want to express my gratitude to those people.  To that AMAZING group of people I call my friends.  But somehow the words 'Thank You' really don't seem enough, are not hardly enough to convey all that I want to say; to let those people know how much I appreciate them.  How much I need them.  How much I love them.  I don't see all of those friends every day, not every week, not every month, not every year even, actually there are some people that I haven't yet met in person, but I can still class them as my friends, they support me.  I know that they are there; and that means the world.


Some of them have been patient and taught me things, have educated me. Some have shown me kindness.  Some have made me laugh.  Some have made me tea.  Some have shared chocolate. Some have shared adventures.  Some have bought me a beer.  On occasion too much beer.  Some have lent me money.  They have been there for me when I have needed someone to be there for me.  They have not always been able to sort things out for me, or even help, but they have ensured that I haven't faced things alone.  This is a true test of friendship.  More than I could ever ask for.  Something I am immensely grateful for.


The opening lines of the film 'Peter's Friends' begins (Stephen Fry VOICE-OVER):
"There are some friends you know you will have for the rest of your life.  You're welded together by love, trust, respect or loss.  Or in our case, simple embarrassment."

I am welded to quite a few people, yeah, especially by the embarrassment  bit.  And, yes, they are welded to me.


It is said that, "No man is ever poor who has friends."  I think that the line is used in the film 'A Wonderful Life' and it is true.  It is also true that "The happiest miser on earth is the one that saves up every friend that he has."  That quote is attributed to Robert E. SHERWOOD.


I am lucky in that I do have a wide circle of friends from various areas of my life. They make me feel valued and supported and loved.  They make me feel happy.  Some theories suggest that good friendships do actually enhance an individual's sense of happiness and well-being.  Indeed, a number of studies have found that strong social supports improve the prospects for good health and longevity.  Conversely, loneliness and a lack of social supports have been linked to negative emotions and ill-health.


I value my friends, I am grateful for my friends.  I am very fortunate that I have people in my life that care for me, who encourage me, who love me, who accept me 'just as I am' and for that, I truly am blessed.

13 comments:

  1. And we are lucky to have you as a friend too. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friends, I have more than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A true friend can be in the next room, another town or the other side of the world. It isn't their location that matters, but their availability.

    You know you can count on all of us to be with you on your "journey". x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very much appreciated. You can bring the duct tape x

      Delete
  4. lovely post hanya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, we follow each other on twitter. lovelypost since I have noticed good friends, old friends leaving me all because #ihavespms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for your comment. As I said in my opening line: "We don’t lose friends. We find out who our real ones are." This is especially true when you have MS. There are things that I can no longer do, but my real friends accept this, and I am very grateful for them x

      Delete
  6. Make the most of your friends everyone unfortunately one day they will leave you and you realise just how really special they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like a lot of things, we don't know what we've got until it is gone. But we should never wait to tell friends just how special they are x

      Delete
  7. This is a lovely piece of inspired writing you have not lost your talent for putting things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete